As it was for my predecessors, there is no greater priority for me as the Commissioner of the National Football League than protecting the integrity of our sport. Our fans, our players and our coaches deserve to know that we are doing everything possible to ensure no improper influences affect how the game is played on the field. This week’s ruling by the Supreme Court has no effect on that unwavering commitment.
We have spent considerable time planning for the potential of broadly legalized sports gambling and are prepared to address these changes in a thoughtful and comprehensive way, including substantial education and compliance training for our clubs, players, employees and partners. These efforts include supporting commonsense legislation that protects our players, coaches and fans and maintains public confidence in our games. We are asking Congress to enact uniform standards for states that choose to legalize sports betting that include, at a minimum, four core principles:
There must be substantial consumer protections;
Sports leagues can protect our content and intellectual property from those who attempt to steal or misuse it;
Fans will have access to official, reliable league data;
Law enforcement will have the resources, monitoring and enforcement tools necessary to protect our fans and penalize bad actors here at home and abroad. #nfl #sportbetting #stewartlovenfl #gmfb #nfl #nfluk
Johnny Manziel will be returning to the pro football ranks this summer.
The former Cleveland Browns quarterback announced Saturday he will be signing with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League. A source informed of the contract told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport it’s a two-year deal.
The Tiger-Cats held Manziel’s exclusive rights and were considered his best option back into football after he was out of the sport for two years.
Getting back to playing ball — that’s what it comes down to,” Manziel said in a video tweeted by Barstool Sports. “It’s something that I miss doing. … Big day for me. I’m no longer unemployed, getting back to what I love to do, and I’m happy about it.”
Manziel, 25, hasn’t played professional football since his release from the Cleveland Browns after the 2015 season. The former Heisman Trophy winner, who was drafted 22nd overall by the Browns in 2014 following a standout career at Texas A&M, was cut by the Browns while under investigation for domestic assault against his former girlfriend. He later reached a deal with prosecutors for conditional dismissal of the charge.
“I sit back today and have a multitude of regrets in my life,” Manziel told NFL.com after throwing in front of NFL scouts at Texas A&M pro day in March. “I got lost in a lifestyle, got caught up in the wrong things.”
Over the last six months, Manziel has been working toward jumpstarting his career. He took part in multiple workouts in front of NFL scouts and played two games last month in The Spring League. The Tiger-Cats open up training camp Sunday under former NFL head coach June Jones. Hamilton opens the 2018 regular season against Calgary on June 16.
Whether Manziel’s #ComebackSZN will lead to CFL success — and another chance in the NFL — remains to be seen.
On Friday, a 17-year-old male opened fire at Santa Fe High School, killing 10 people and injuring others, per the Associated Press. The high school is located in the greater Houston area.
Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt informed the school that he will personally cover the funeral expenses for the victims of the May 18 tragedy. He tweeted about the tragedy Friday morning.
4:07 PM – May 18, 2018
3,057 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The Texans organization offered their condolences to the victims, their families and those affected.
“On behalf of the Texans organization, we are saddened by the tragic events at Santa Fe High School this morning and extend our thoughts and heartfelt condolences to the victims, their families and all those affected. We are grateful for the brave first responders, law enforcement officials and medical personnel. The Texans family will continue to pray for our neighbors.”
Watt, who was the 2017 recipient of the prestigious Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award, helped raise more than $37 million for people affected by Hurricane Harvey last fall.
Jason Garrett has just one losing season in Dallas since taking over as the Cowboys‘ full-time coach in 2011.
He also boasts just two playoff appearances, which left one former Cowboys star asking why Garrett is still in charge.
“When you really look at it, it doesn’t make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job,” Terrell Owens said Wednesday on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “They are not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there.”
Garrett’s 68-55 record since taking over the job midway through the 2010 season makes him the second winningest coach in franchise history behind Hall of Famer Tom Landry.
Still, Owens questions why the players — and not Garrett — take the blame for failing to reach greater heights.
“At the end of the day, how can you keep allowing the players to be the scapegoat for what’s not happening,” Owens said, “especially when you have a head coach that’s supposed to be offensive-minded? They’re supposed to direct and lead the team to where a team hasn’t gotten in a number of years, and they’ve pretty much been in a standstill under coach Jason Garrett.”
Garrett served as the team’s offensive coordinator for the final two years of T.O.’s run in Dallas from 2007 to 2008. They know each other, but that didn’t stop Owens from pointing the finger at Garrett — and team owner Jerry Jones.
“For me, it’s mind-boggling. I don’t understand,” Owens said. “And I think Jerry — again, he’s the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions — but I just don’t understand why this guy [Garrett] still has a job.”